One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An African antelope that has a greyish or brownish coat with white vertical stripes, and a short bushy tail. The male has long spirally curved horns.
Genus Tragelaphus, family Bovidae: two species
- ‘If lucky, you will spot the peculiar tree-climbing python, kudu and roan antelope, a rare experience in the northern safari circuit.’
- ‘This is the first kudu ever held in captivity at Queen's Park.’
- ‘I encountered kudus at Keetmans and just about every southern wild animal you can think of on the road between Keetmans and Lüderitz.’
- ‘Our headlights started to pick out game - a kudu, an eland bull, and a warthog that scurried across our bows when it shouldn't have.’
- ‘Afterwards, I sit on my terrace and watch what may be kudus, springboks or oryxes amble to the water hole.’
- ‘The sudden snort of a kudu could cause me to grip my rifle and prepare for the worst, until I remembered that it was not a large carnivore.’
- ‘Before long, the scrubby plain has offered kudu, ostriches and a jackal.’
- ‘You'll camp on sandbars and islands, travel through three national parks, and watch elephants, zebras, kudus, and water bucks lazing along the shoreline.’
- ‘The favourite trophy is the kudu, due to its regal bearing, followed by the springbok.’
- ‘One of the other groups came across a young female stalking a herd of kudu, and we were able to join them watching the magnificent cat loiter around our vehicles, entirely relaxed and at times only a few metres away.’
- ‘One of the most striking and beautiful of the antelopes, the greater kudu lives in central and southern Africa, in rocky hill country or on brush-covered plains.’
- ‘Located high on a central plateau, with the Auas Mountains serving as a backdrop, it is not uncommon to spot kudu and other antelope shortly upon arrival.’
- ‘The trail isn't supposed to be a wildlife safari, but we sight many kudu, oryx, baboons and mountain zebra, and a huge Kori Bustard taking to the air.’
- ‘The 50,000 acres of land at Gourlays Ranch is a recognised wildlife conservancy, home to thousands of animals including elephants, leopards, sables and kudus.’
- ‘A female kudu bounds across our path, tail curled up tight like a powder puff and a family of giraffe edges closer, adults wary, youngsters consumed with curiosity.’
- ‘To get to class, students travel a path known as the Warthog Trot, a winding trail through the bush that's also used by giraffes, kudu, wildebeests, and impalas.’
- ‘The greater kudu is found throughout eastern and southern Africa, in mixed woodlands, bushlands, hills and mountains.’
- ‘Instead of the image of a kudu, the commemorative coins sport the ‘ten years of freedom’ logo.’
- ‘In some areas buffalo, kudu and common duikers are a bother.’
- ‘Other animals, such as waterbucks, kudus, warthogs, and baboons, drank from the same troughs.’
Late 18th century: from Afrikaans koedoe, from Xhosa i-qudu.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.