Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] (in science fiction) an alien mineral with the property of depriving Superman of his powers.figurative ‘girls of her sort are kryptonite to the developing hearts of adolescent boys’
- ‘Did the Raiders uncover Pennington's kryptonite?’
- ‘But it's the snacking, even on so-called ‘healthy foods,’ in between meals that's my kryptonite.’
- ‘Remember when polystyrene foam was environmental kryptonite?’
- ‘‘It's kryptonite for both sides,’ one travelling official said, and in a exquisitely poised contest like this, neither wants to risk disaster.’
- ‘These things are like kryptonite to terrorists.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.