One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Painted ornamentation in Maori art, typically made up of geometric swirls.‘his work is known for glittery kowhaiwhai and wallpaper patterns’
- ‘The review really opened up the work for me, in relation to conventions of kowhaiwhai.’
- ‘He has fashioned a unique identity for himself in his exploration of the relevance of kowhaiwhai painting here today.’
- ‘The mangopare kowhaiwhai design on the rafters represents a hammerhead shark, a species which is very hard to kill and has become the symbol of bravery.’
- ‘The council's kowhaiwhai pattern will be sandblasted around its lower section’
- ‘Kowhaiwhai lends itself to being able to interweave the social, political and economic forces we face today in Aotearoa.’
- ‘Lines of scripture, the great white bird Taiamai, kowhaiwhai painting and gang patches are elegantly arrayed across fields of utter blackness in these works, a blackness that points both to creation and apocalypse.’
- ‘You'll see different kowhaiwhai forms coming through.’
- ‘Her garment Toi Aotearoa, inspired by the patterns in carving, weaving and kowhaiwhai (Maori painted scroll ornamentation), is also a finalist in the South Pacific section at the World of Wearable Art awards.’
- ‘His work followed that of his great-grandfather, who adopted European and American influences in his kowhaiwhai work on East Coast whare nui.’
- ‘I love in recent years how it increasingly boldly speaks across cultures and traditions while still being firmly rooted in extending the kowhaiwhai pattern of mangopare.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.