One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A carved mask fitted as a decoration on the gable peak of a Maori meeting house.‘a canopy was erected with four sets of koruru’
- ‘The koruru is the head of the ancestor.’
- ‘The koruru crowning the apex of the house is his head.’
- ‘There was meant to be an ancestral figure up there, a proper koruru.’
- ‘The koruru is curiously wrought with detail manaia carving on the forehead.’
- ‘At the apex of the maibi, above the doorway, is the koruru or central carving.’
- ‘The name of the carved head (koruru) on the front gable is visible.’
- ‘The founding ancestor after whom this meeting house is usually named is depicted by the koruru.’
- ‘The front of the house has at the apex of the gable a large carved head which we call the koruru.’
- ‘Two photographs show the koruru decorated with what are believed to be hawk feathers.’
- ‘His arms are the maihi, the boards sloping down from the koruru to form the roof.’
Late 19th century: Maori.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.