Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The basic monetary unit of the Czech Republic, equal to 100 halers.
- ‘In addition to Danish krone, there will be Czech korunas - and Slovak korunas too, for that matter.’
- ‘He was fined a record 200,000 koruna and banned for 15 games Wednesday for criticizing a referee.’
- ‘This will amount to an average of 50 korunas a month per patient, according to health ministry estimates.’
- ‘Estonia, Lithuania, and Bulgaria rely on currency board arrangements, whereas the Slovak Republic has pegged the koruna to a basket of foreign currencies with fluctuation margins.’
- ‘Month-to-date, the Swedish krona, Hungarian forint, Czech koruna, and Norwegian krone have gained almost 5% against the dollar.’
- ‘She is seeking damages of 1 million koruna, daily newspaper Lidove Noviny wrote.’
- ‘The move has proved unpopular with the public in Slovakia, where the average monthly wage is 14 000 korunas.’
- ‘On the downside, the Czech koruna fell 1.4%, the Polish zloty 1.2%, and the Norwegian krone 0.9%.’
- ‘The leading currencies were the Swedish krona, Swiss franc, Norwegian krone, Czech koruna, Australian dollar, Danish krone, euro and New Zealand dollar.’
- ‘For instance, the Slovakian koruna hit a record high against the euro on Mar. 8.’
- ‘The Polish zloty jumped 3.3%, the South African rand 2.5%, Czech koruna 2.0%, and Hungarian forint 1.9%.’
- ‘On the downside, the Polish zloty sank 4%, the Hungarian forint 2.6%, the Turkish lira 2.5%, and Czech koruna 2.3%.’
- ‘According to the company-commissioned study, premature deaths from cigarettes saved the Czech government between 943 million koruna and 1.19 billion koruna (between $23.8 million and $30.1 million).’
- ‘On the downside, the Polish Zloty, Slovakia koruna, and South African rand declined 3%, while the Hungarian forint, Czech koruna, and Romania leu declined 2%.’
- ‘One American, who obviously didn't want to join the queues, was fined 10,000 korunas when he tried driving across one of the closed bridges.’
Czech, literally crown.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.