Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The basic monetary unit of the Czech Republic, equal to 100 halers.
- ‘She is seeking damages of 1 million koruna, daily newspaper Lidove Noviny wrote.’
- ‘On the downside, the Polish Zloty, Slovakia koruna, and South African rand declined 3%, while the Hungarian forint, Czech koruna, and Romania leu declined 2%.’
- ‘The leading currencies were the Swedish krona, Swiss franc, Norwegian krone, Czech koruna, Australian dollar, Danish krone, euro and New Zealand dollar.’
- ‘This will amount to an average of 50 korunas a month per patient, according to health ministry estimates.’
- ‘One American, who obviously didn't want to join the queues, was fined 10,000 korunas when he tried driving across one of the closed bridges.’
- ‘On the downside, the Czech koruna fell 1.4%, the Polish zloty 1.2%, and the Norwegian krone 0.9%.’
- ‘In addition to Danish krone, there will be Czech korunas - and Slovak korunas too, for that matter.’
- ‘Month-to-date, the Swedish krona, Hungarian forint, Czech koruna, and Norwegian krone have gained almost 5% against the dollar.’
- ‘He was fined a record 200,000 koruna and banned for 15 games Wednesday for criticizing a referee.’
- ‘On the downside, the Polish zloty sank 4%, the Hungarian forint 2.6%, the Turkish lira 2.5%, and Czech koruna 2.3%.’
- ‘Estonia, Lithuania, and Bulgaria rely on currency board arrangements, whereas the Slovak Republic has pegged the koruna to a basket of foreign currencies with fluctuation margins.’
- ‘The Polish zloty jumped 3.3%, the South African rand 2.5%, Czech koruna 2.0%, and Hungarian forint 1.9%.’
- ‘The move has proved unpopular with the public in Slovakia, where the average monthly wage is 14 000 korunas.’
- ‘According to the company-commissioned study, premature deaths from cigarettes saved the Czech government between 943 million koruna and 1.19 billion koruna (between $23.8 million and $30.1 million).’
- ‘For instance, the Slovakian koruna hit a record high against the euro on Mar. 8.’
Czech, literally crown.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.