Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A stylized fern-leaf motif in Maori carving and tattooing.
- ‘It will have some kind of koru in it to reflect the indigenous people.’
- ‘Two taiaha span the top edge of the painting, while the rest is bordered with red and black koru.’
- ‘The koru (being a Maori symbol) balances the flag, and the traditional western approach of three horizontal stripes.’
- ‘In this tutorial you will learn how to create a koru in a few easy steps.’
- ‘Gordon Walters, one of New Zealand's best artists, made frequent use of a classic Maori symbol, the koru, a curving form derived from the curled tip of the young tree-fern frond.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.