One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small crested bustard, which is typically boldly marked and has penetrating repetitive calls.
Genus Eupodotis, family Otididae: several species
- ‘In addition, the blue korhaan and black-bellied korhaan are thought to be ‘near-threatened’.’
- ‘While birds such as the korhaans and bustards inhabit the open grassland, other species reside in the adjacent woodlands.’
- ‘Etosha's grasslands are home to doublebanded plovers and black korhaans.’
- ‘Carmine bee-eaters perch on the back of kori bustards and red-crested korhaans plummet from the sky in daring aerobatic mating displays.’
- ‘Two blackbellied korhaans were flirting nearby.’
Mid 18th century: Afrikaans, from the imitative base kor-, knor- (compare with Dutch korren ‘coo’) + haan ‘cock’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.