One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A heavily built monitor lizard which captures large prey such as pigs by ambush. Occurring only on Komodo and neighbouring Indonesian islands, it is the largest extant lizard.
Varanus komodoensis, family Varanidae
- ‘Sophon suggested that new animals could include giant anteaters from South America, Komodo dragons from Indonesia, or gorillas from Africa.’
- ‘Interestingly, some future antibiotics may lie in unusual places, including the saliva of Komodo dragons.’
- ‘Indonesian Komodo dragons attain lengths of ten feet or more and can weigh as much as 350 pounds.’
- ‘The tiny humans, who had skulls about the size of grapefruits, lived with pygmy elephants and Komodo dragons on a remote island in Indonesia 18,000 years ago.’
- ‘How did he get to the remote regions of the earth to collect exotic butterflies and Komodo dragons?’
- ‘In 1992 I visited the island of Komodo - home of the Komodo dragon - to study gigantism among reptiles.’
- ‘Yet for decades, observers have recorded anecdotes of young Komodo dragons doing things that lack obvious utility and suggest whimsical antics.’
- ‘In the same site they also found bones from Komodo dragons and an extinct pygmy elephant called Stegodon.’
- ‘Last week they decided to show an item about a veterinarian who practiced acupuncture on a Komodo dragon.’
- ‘The Toronto Zoo is celebrating the arrival of a baby Komodo dragon.’
- ‘He said he and two friends sailing a yacht had stopped at a bay on the island of Rinja, not far from Bali, hoping to see some Komodo dragons.’
- ‘About 300 Komodo dragons live in captivity - more than 60 of which have been born and bred in the United States.’
- ‘They themselves may have been hunted by giant lizards - even bigger versions of the huge Komodo dragons which still exist in the region and have been known to eat humans.’
- ‘He believes that Megalania varied between 200 and 330 pounds, about the size of a Komodo dragon.’
- ‘Many reptiles today, including crocodilians and Komodo dragons, regularly prey on their own species, he notes.’
- ‘Cannibal Rock was named after its discoverers observed a Komodo dragon devouring another on a ledge above a mini-wall that begins in only 3 feet of water and drops to 10 feet.’
- ‘The Komodo dragon, the world's largest lizard, has more than fifteen infectious agents suspended in its saliva.’
- ‘Monitor lizards such as Komodo dragons do not sweat; they can only pant to lower their body temperature and lay still in the shade or inside burrows.’
- ‘Sitting on a wooden platform on the island of Rinca, overlooking several Komodo dragons, park ranger Martinus confessed that he would be voting for Megawati.’
- ‘A monitor lizard the size of a Komodo dragon saunters out of the jungle and slips into the sea.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.