One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A minibus, especially one used to transport passengers commercially.
- ‘We would always stay in Kuta and take the combi down to Padang Padang or Uluwatu or go outward from there.’
- ‘Earlier last week, she saw two Welfare department kombis picking up workers at Hemingway's casino.’
- ‘On the way to Mthatha, the kombi transporting 12 members of the Old Collegians team developed mechanical trouble.’
- ‘‘We have also printed the funeral programme and will be organising kombis to ferry mourners to the graveyard,’ says Sithole.’
- ‘Assistant coach Andre Human drove our kombi, chief coach Kobus van der Merwe electing to sit at the back.’
From Volkswagen's proprietary name, abbreviation of German Kombiwagen ‘combination car’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.