Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A minibus, especially one used to transport passengers commercially.
- ‘‘We have also printed the funeral programme and will be organising kombis to ferry mourners to the graveyard,’ says Sithole.’
- ‘On the way to Mthatha, the kombi transporting 12 members of the Old Collegians team developed mechanical trouble.’
- ‘We would always stay in Kuta and take the combi down to Padang Padang or Uluwatu or go outward from there.’
- ‘Assistant coach Andre Human drove our kombi, chief coach Kobus van der Merwe electing to sit at the back.’
- ‘Earlier last week, she saw two Welfare department kombis picking up workers at Hemingway's casino.’
From Volkswagen's proprietary name, abbreviation of German Kombiwagen combination car.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.