One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sledge drawn by dogs, used by the people of Labrador.
- ‘The spruce provided planks for boats, komatiks, and houses.’
- ‘There were a lot of komatiks and a lot of dogs.’
- ‘You can find modern racing sleds next to traditional Inuit komatiks, low-lying sleds where the musher simply packs his camping gear and sits down on top of it.’
- ‘We travel by komatik, which is a wooden sled lashed together and pulled behind a snowmobile.’
- ‘I loaded up my komatik with my gear, carefully placing the backup camera in the most secure position I could find.’
Early 19th century: from Inuit qamutik.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.