Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A dark brown weasel with a bushy tail, found from Siberia to Japan.
- ‘Fifty-one species of mammals find refuge in the Katun Nature Preserve including brown bears, chipmunks, ermines, lynxes, minks, musk-deer, sables, Siberian mountain goats, Siberian weasels, and squirrels.’
- ‘The Siberian weasel also known as the Siberian mink or kolinsky is the most common among Asian mustelids.’
- ‘They are the common shrew, the Altaic mole, the fox, the bear, the glutton, the sable, the weasel, the ermine, the Siberian weasel, the otter, the musk-deer, the maral, the roe, the elk, the squirrel, the chipmunk, the common dark and red field-vole, the Altaic, the Altaic pika.’
- ‘Other mammals in the region include red foxes, Siberian weasels, red deer, and even reindeer (caribou).’
- ‘Also known as Siberian weasels, these little furbearers are found in Siberia, China and other parts of Asia.’
- ‘The Siberian weasel makes its den in the hollows of trees, under rocks, and will often take over a rodent's burrow that has been deserted.’
- ‘A study of wild populations in Japan showed that the average longevity of Siberian weasels was about 2.1 years.’
- ‘Among these is the kolinsky, also known as the yellow weasel, red sable, tartar sable, or China mink.’
- ‘The North was to send 16 animals, including Asiatic black bears, lynx, coyotes, African ponies and Siberian weasels, zoo officials said.’
- ‘Of predators, there are bears, wolverines, sables, Siberian weasels, ermines, and least weasels; of ungulates, marals, roe deer, musk deer, etc.’
- 1.1mass noun The fur of the kolinsky.
Mid 19th century: from the place name Kola, a port in NW Russia, + the pseudo-Russian ending -insky.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.