Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A shrubby Eurasian plant of the goosefoot family, grown for its decorative foliage which turns deep fiery red in the autumn.
- ‘It controls black nightshade, kochia, lambsquarters, pigweed, sunflower, velvetleaf, waterhemp (including ALS-resistant types), foxtail and crabgrass.’
- ‘This year many of the broadleaf weeds such as kochia, lambsquarters, morningglory, common sunflower, toothed spurge, and wild buckwheat also will create post-harvest problems.’
- ‘Several common weeds, including pigweed, lamb's quarters, and kochia, have been reported to be hosts for the pathogen.’
- ‘It controls many broadleaf weeds including kochia, both triazine resistant and ALS resistant biotypes.’
- ‘Many of the early emerging summer annuals, including giant ragweed, kochia, lambsquarters, and Russian thistle are removed during the tillage process, allowing the crop and any new weeds to emerge together.’
- ‘Several weed species, including kochia, Russian thistle, and field sandbur are extremely drought tolerant.’
- ‘Examples of triazine-resistant weeds infesting grain sorghum fields in Nebraska include pigweed, waterhemp, and kochia.’
- ‘Callisto controls many broadleaf weeds, including pigweed, waterhemp, kochia, and velvetleaf with excellent crop safety.’
- ‘The first experimental plant, kochia, was exposed under the filters from 5 to 29 August, after emergence in the field.’
- ‘Many areas have ALS-resistant kochia so herbicides such as Synchrony, Pursuit, and Raptor will not provide control.’
- ‘This can help control early emerging summer annuals such as kochia if they aren't ALS-resistant.’
Late 19th century: named after Wilhelm D. J. Koch (1771–1849), German botanist.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.