One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Maori musical instrument similar to a flute.‘instruments used include everything from Tibetan prayer bowls to koauau and bugles’
- ‘She is an accomplished player and teacher of koauau and nguru (Maori flutes).’
- ‘Mourning Sax and the haunting sound of (traditional Maori wind-instrument) koauau sets the vibe over a flowing piano piece.’
- ‘There are several historical koauau in the Auckland Museum.’
- ‘Her Pounamu is a 1989 classic, especially potent with Horo's koauau instead of European flute.’
- ‘She sings the opening karakia, after she has introduced herself on a koauau.’
- ‘She claims her heritage and establishes an unmistakable sense of place within the album's first few bars, with the bird-like call of a koauau.’
- ‘The piece employs the help of a koauau, a traditional Maori flute.’
- ‘Explore the cultural and astronomical significance of the star cluster Matariki at Stardome Planetarium or attend the Koauau Workshop and use traditional stone tool carving methods to make, then play, the Koauau (traditional Maori flute).’
- ‘It tells the famous story of how Hinemoa heard the koauau of Tutanekai and swam across Lake Rotorua to woo him.’
- ‘His exquisitely gauged improvisations involved a crystalline koauau introduction.’
Early 20th century: Maori.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.