One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A paradoxical anecdote or riddle without a solution, used in Zen Buddhism to demonstrate the inadequacy of logical reasoning and provoke enlightenment.
puzzle, conundrum, brain-teaser, chinese puzzle, problem, unsolved problem, question, poser, enigma, mystery, quandary, paradoxView synonyms
- ‘Like the ponderer of a Zen koan, the viewer must come to terms with this paradox.’
- ‘Zen masters often use nonsensical or unsolvable riddles, or koans, to bring about enlightenment.’
- ‘The goal of the Zen koan is enlightenment, which is a profound change of heart.’
- ‘Let's take a look at one of the classic Zen koans, the one about wild geese.’
- ‘Don't think that the koan and its solution are themselves wisdom and truth.’
Japanese, literally ‘matter for public thought’, from Chinese gōngàn ‘official business’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.