Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bear-like arboreal Australian marsupial that has thick grey fur and feeds on eucalyptus leaves.Also called native bear in Australia
- ‘Like their koala cousins, wombats have a hardened layer over the muscles of their rump; a very hardened layer.’
- ‘Certainly sloths in South America and koalas in Austrailia wouldn't have survived the trip?’
- ‘Wildlife officials estimate thousands of native animals, including koalas, have been killed or injured in the fires.’
- ‘Thousands of animals were killed, including tigers, lions, elephants, camels, and koalas.’
- ‘For weeks now Friends of the Koalas has been responding to numerous calls regarding koalas in potentially dangerous locations.’
- ‘More than 20 Eucalyptus species provide sustenance for koalas, but in any given region, the marsupials eat only a few species.’
- ‘This year's Olympic Games turned the world's eye to the country of koalas and kangaroos.’
- ‘Female koalas give birth to a single offspring every two years.’
- ‘Thousands of animals, including kangaroos, koalas, wombats and reptiles, are dead.’
- ‘Amateur fossil hunters have helped to uncover the oldest known ancestor to kangaroos, koalas, possums, and wombats.’
- ‘One approach worthy of serious consideration would be to charge a fee for visitors to Kangaroo Island to hunt koalas.’
- ‘Well the koala is an Australian icon when it comes to tourism.’
- ‘I was surrounded by at least a dozen baby kangaroos, wallabies, or koalas all my life.’
- ‘The leaflet includes hints on how to find koalas, directions to the Koala Care and Research Centre, and how to contact Friends of the Koala.’
- ‘Dale is from Australia and captivated his audience with stories of crocodiles and koalas.’
- ‘Bush fires are terrorising Australia's cuddly national icon, the koala.’
- ‘Further, koalas have an unusually low metabolic rate, which also reduces their need for food.’
- ‘Becky fulfilled another ambition to cuddle a koala at Australia Zoo, home of Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin.’
- ‘In 1997 I participated in a study of the contribution of koalas to the Australian tourism industry.’
- ‘In Sydney, ice sculptures of kangaroos and koalas melted during a protest by green groups over Australia's refusal to ratify the pact.’
In non-technical contexts koala bear (as opposed to koala) is widely used. Zoologists, however, regard this form as incorrect on the grounds that, despite appearances, koalas are completely unrelated to bears
Early 19th century: from Dharuk.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.