Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A slow pitch which moves erratically, made by releasing the ball from the knuckles of the first joints of the index and middle finger.
- ‘You'll learn the rules of offense and defense, and all about fastballs, curveballs, knuckleballs and screwballs.’
- ‘Sauveur throws a fastball, knuckleball, curveball and cutter, and he changes speeds with all of them.’
- ‘Wilhelm and Niekro are the only two pitchers in the Hall of Fame who relied primarily on the knuckleball throughout their careers.’
- ‘Eddie Cicotte is thought to be the first major league pitcher to specialize in throwing the knuckleball.’
- ‘He had pitched in high school and occasionally had thrown a knuckleball.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.