One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Have experience of the appropriate procedures.
- ‘He had traveled a lot overseas on business and kind of knew the ropes… but we were too tired to care.’
- ‘The customs officials and immigration officers know the ropes and take you through every step - this is their job and they do it well.’
- ‘But having people there from home who knew the ropes made it a lot easier for me.’
- ‘He had minimal playing experience in the majors, but he has been in baseball since the '70s and knows the ropes.’
- ‘I have been to Thailand a few times, so I know the ropes, or at least I think I do.’
- ‘They are welcomed, encouraged and helped by the friendly staff and older members who already know the ropes.’
- ‘Needless to say, I could use some direction and encouragement from someone who knows the ropes.’
- ‘Once you know the ropes, blogging is easy - and fun.’
- ‘He has been in the limelight for six years now and knows the ropes.’
- ‘One of the most efficient and safest ways to see the most sights in the least amount of time is with a tour guide who knows the ropes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.