One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be entirely familiar with a place or route.
- ‘Nearly all my riding is done in the country East Sussex and Kent and I know it like the back of my hand as I've been there so much.’
- ‘He has been working the land at Mersehead, on the Solway Firth, for 30 years, and knows it like the back of his hand.’
- ‘You'll know this place like the back of your hand in no time.’
- ‘He and his team know the area like the back of their hand; not much escapes their attention.’
- ‘Their house is exactly the same inside as mine so I know it like the back of my hand.’
- ‘Not only that, but much of the land in this region of Wyoming is owned by ranchers who know the terrain like the back of their hand, and have become adept at spotting fossils.’
- ‘Casey didn't bother to turn on the light in this end of the room, knowing it like the back of her hand.’
- ‘But Waymaster Fintaal was raised in Elithanor, and he knows the woods like the back of his hand.’
- ‘She knew the procedure like the back of her hand.’
- ‘John races locally and knows the trails like the back of his hand, so keeping up with him was no easy task.’
- ‘He knew the city like the back of his hand but tonight he couldn't see anything resembling a familiar landmark.’
- ‘I'm sure Adam would've gone into the mountains - he knows them like the back of his hand.’
- ‘I nodded as we began walking towards the stables, ‘Tori knows this place like the back of her hand.’’
- ‘I'm sure you'll find something on the docks; you know them like the back of your hand after all.’
- ‘He's also a great caddie who knows the course like the back of his hand.’
- ‘‘I know this village like the back of my hand,’ he says.’
- ‘It has an owner who knows it like the back of his hand.’
- ‘I have been in the industry for 14 years and know it like the back of my hand.’
- ‘Dracula undoubtedly knows this island like the back of his hand.’
- ‘After all, this is his neighborhood, so he knows it like the back of his hand.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.