One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be sensible and intelligent.‘Emily certainly knew how many beans made five’
perceptive, discerning, percipient, perspicacious, penetrative, piercing, penetrating, discriminating, sensitive, incisive, keen, keen-witted, acute, sharp-witted, quick, quick-witted, clever, shrewd, astute, intelligent, intuitive, bright, agile, nimble, nimble-witted, alert, quick off the mark, ready, apt, fine, finely honed, rapier-like, probing, searching, insightful, knowingView synonyms
- ‘Meticulous Virgo rises, a sign which knows how many beans make five, master-minding everything from the logistics of regional auditions to the carefully co-ordinated packaging of a multi - media brand.’
- ‘If you're bursting with fresh ideas, can't wait to live, breathe, and eat fresh soups, sauces etc., and can tell celery from celeriac, know how many beans make five, we'd love to hear from you.’
- ‘PETER PEACOCK, the Scottish Education Minister, knows how many beans make five, can rattle through the three Rs and gives the impression of a man who doesn't leave an i without a dot, or a t uncrossed.’
- ‘I have no idea if the chapter is good or not; I do know that the book's Exchange chapter was written by Jim McBee, who knows how many beans make five.’
- ‘‘Oh, you look the proper sort of chap to sell cows,’ said the man; ‘I wonder if you know how many beans make five.’’
- ‘We can even buy Private Eye and indulge its falsely comforting view of a man who is too dumb to know how many beans make five.’
- ‘Because it is a cat and knows how many beans make five.’
- ‘He could have made a good living as a buyer for a supermarket as they also know how many beans make five - million or billion, that is.’
- ‘‘Well, Louise knows how many beans make five alright, but it's the cable companies’ money we are trying to protect,’ Lewis pointed out. ‘Surely they have the motivation to tell the repairers to install Chamelon?’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.