One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The time at which a person stops work for the day.‘at knocking-off time they all head out to the pub’
- ‘Staggered knocking-off times have been suggested as a way of beating rush-hour congestion.’
- ‘There used to be hundreds and hundreds of people pouring out of the factory when the hooter went at knocking-off time.’
- ‘They simply watch the clock and discuss knocking-off time while leaning miserably on Formica counters.’
- ‘The staff didn't want to get involved in a drawn-out commercial transaction that might cause them to have to stay past their knocking-off time.’
- ‘I'll frequently be here long after the six o'clock knocking-off time, while I know that the latecomers will be out the door as the chimes are still fading.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.