One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
overwhelm, overpower, stun, stupefy, amaze, astound, astonish, stagger, take someone's breath away, leave someone open-mouthed, dumbfound, confound, take abackView synonyms
- ‘The sheer wealth and size and richness of America knocked me sideways.’
- ‘When they performed this on TOTP, I was knocked sideways.’
- ‘That said, most of what he plays washes over me these days - but once in a while, something comes along and knocks you sideways.’
- ‘Every now and then, something came up which would completely knock you sideways.’
- ‘But Preston were knocked sideways by the shock of seeing their impregnable lead suddenly wiped out.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.