One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
overwhelm, overpower, stun, stupefy, amaze, astound, astonish, stagger, take someone's breath away, leave someone open-mouthed, dumbfound, confound, take abackView synonyms
- ‘When they performed this on TOTP, I was knocked sideways.’
- ‘But Preston were knocked sideways by the shock of seeing their impregnable lead suddenly wiped out.’
- ‘The sheer wealth and size and richness of America knocked me sideways.’
- ‘That said, most of what he plays washes over me these days - but once in a while, something comes along and knocks you sideways.’
- ‘Every now and then, something came up which would completely knock you sideways.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.