One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
stop work, finish work, finish working, clock off, close shop, shut down, leave work, finish the working dayView synonyms
- ‘I think I'll knock off for the day and have a nice cup of coffee.’
- ‘After a frantic week at work I am planning on knocking off a little early today.’
- ‘They worked on the project three or four afternoons a week, knocking off around five to drink beer and talk.’
- ‘Why can't they have patrols instead of knocking off from work early in the day.’
- ‘The typical Australian working day starts in the sunshine at 8am, and shortly after everyone knocks off at 4pm, the parks will be full of men chucking a ball about until the sun goes down.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.