Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
stop work, finish work, finish working, clock off, close shop, shut down, leave work, finish the working daytake a break, break, break off, rest, pause, stop, halt, finishcall it a day, have a breather, take fiveView synonyms
- ‘They worked on the project three or four afternoons a week, knocking off around five to drink beer and talk.’
- ‘After a frantic week at work I am planning on knocking off a little early today.’
- ‘I think I'll knock off for the day and have a nice cup of coffee.’
- ‘The typical Australian working day starts in the sunshine at 8am, and shortly after everyone knocks off at 4pm, the parks will be full of men chucking a ball about until the sun goes down.’
- ‘Why can't they have patrols instead of knocking off from work early in the day.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.