Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A machine with a bank of needles on which garments can be knitted.
- ‘The company is investing in the latest #150,000 knitting machines that can produce single-piece jerseys in short runs for the very top end of the market.’
- ‘On leaving school, Marjorie worked in several houses in the area before joining a small business in Twyford, where she became a skilled operator on the new knitting machines.’
- ‘Today the firm has approximately 100 knitting machines, and continues to add more.’
- ‘Audrey got a job in the hosiery mill and earned $6 a week learning to use the knitting machine.’
- ‘He bought a knitting machine and worked from his parents' house.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.