Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small bottom-dwelling fish, typically found in shallow water or rock pools.
- ‘It is a juvenile kelp klipfish, Clinus rotundifrons, one of the rarer klipfishes.’
- ‘Salted codfish and dried klipfish can be supplied in bales of 25 and 50 kg net, in wooden cases of 50 kg net, in cartons of 25 kg and 10 kg net.’
- ‘The exhibits cover production of medicinal cod-liver oil, barrel manufacture and the preparation of, and trade in, salted fish and klipfish.’
- ‘Nowhere else in the world have so many species of klipfishes evolved together in one place, and South Africa is home to 77% of all the species known in this family.’
- ‘Species of three of the six families of blennioid fishes occur in South African waters: true blennies, klipfishes and triplefins (Tripterygiidae).’
Late 18th century: partial translation of Dutch klipvis or Danish klipfisk rock fish.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.