Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘The package store he hit was in Jackson Corner, not ten klicks from where we sit.’
- ‘They had been dropped off a few klicks from the city gates.’
- ‘It was about 20 klicks away and the jeep was closing at about 200 KPH.’
- ‘By the odometer it's about 1.5 kilometres, or half a klick shorter than the other route, which ends up in the same place, but approaches it from the north.’
- ‘When he was one klick away, a message came through.’
- ‘And unless you've suddenly developed the ability to read minds from thirty klicks off, I'm pretty sure you don't know either.’
- ‘Karl gunned the LTD, quickly accelerating to a hundred and twenty klicks, and disappeared around a curve.’
- ‘I made camp several klicks further down the river valley.’
- ‘James provided Roger with cover, excluding all enemy fighters within three klicks.’
- ‘Karl followed the pair, speeding up to forty klicks when the trail led onto a dirt road.’
- ‘The war seemed distant at that moment, as the sun sank before me, casting a rich amber light on the rooftops of a small cluster of buildings half a klick ahead.’
- ‘He said that the nest was at an old church up river about twenty klicks from here.’
- ‘Drew only lived a few klicks away so she was going to walk.’
- ‘Altitude continued to drop, below 5,000, the airspeed at just over 700 klicks.’
- ‘Yesterday I collected the car from Eblens and off I drove, all pristine and only 16 klicks on the dial.’
- ‘Almost exactly three klicks after that, Howard found the second intersection, marked by a sign, and turned north onto a rutted, unpaved road.’
1960s: of unknown origin; the term was originally used in the Vietnam War.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.