One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ruler who uses their power to steal their country's resources.
- ‘We find ourselves ruled (politically, economically, culturally, and ethically) by a confederacy of kleptocrats.’
- ‘As a result, Leftists and kleptocrats become de facto allies fighting against the progress and development of 3rd-world peoples.’
- ‘Switzerland is awash with retired dictators and kleptocrats with their millions.’
- ‘Africa's problem is one of despots and kleptocrats.’
- ‘The only thing that the West could do is to stop providing safe places for kleptocrats to hide their stolen money.’
- ‘An obstructionist Duma that is in the hands of reactionaries and special interests like the kleptocrats was of benefit to no-one except those parties.’
- ‘Most commentators argue that it will stand or fall on whether the continent's leaders possess the will to deal with dictators and kleptocrats.’
- ‘Sadly, it was the oligarchs, the kleptocrats and Western companies that benefited most from the increased prices.’
- ‘We've even seen aid disappear into the Swiss bank accounts of third-world kleptocrats.’
1960s: from Greek kleptēs ‘thief’ + -crat.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.