Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person employed to wash dishes and carry out other menial duties in the kitchen of a restaurant or hotel.
- ‘He originally came from Bradford and worked at St William's College in York as a kitchen porter.’
- ‘It belonged to my dad and I drove it at the weekend to a posh country hotel, where I worked as a kitchen porter.’
- ‘During one of their meetings just a month before the blaze, he told her he was unhappy working as a kitchen porter following a disagreement with one of the chefs.’
- ‘Being a kitchen porter paid for my weekend beer and cigarettes but was no enjoyable task.’
- ‘His first job out of school was as a kitchen porter at Lark Creek Inn in Larkspur, CA.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.