One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A prehistoric refuse heap which marks an ancient settlement, chiefly containing bones, shells, and stone implements.
- ‘Along the coast of Southern California are many kitchen middens, where ancient Californians tossed refuse from their dinners.’
- ‘Some of these kitchen middens are very valuable to archaeologists; they tell us a lot about the lives of our ancestors.’
- ‘Archaeologists and anthropologists use the kitchen middens of older civilizations to learn about life during that time period.’
- ‘If bones of animals are found in kitchen middens it is proof that they were eaten by people.’
- ‘Shell middens, also known as kitchen middens, are archeological sites formed through the accumulation of domestic refuse consisting primarily of mollusc shells.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.