Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A long, cylindrical canvas bag, used especially for carrying a soldier's clothes and personal possessions.
suitcase, case, valise, portmanteau, holdall, carryall, grip, overnight bag, overnighter, flight bag, travelling bag, gladstone bag, carpet bagView synonyms
- ‘One boy, carrying a kitbag over his shoulder in true military style, kept humming to himself as he marched along.’
- ‘According to this view, international law is but one tool in the diplomatic kitbag that can be utilized to justify politically motivated actions.’
- ‘All of us scheduled for that flight ate a hearty breakfast that morning, then carried our packed kitbags to the front of the hotel.’
- ‘His kitbag stood in the corner as he was due to return to his barracks that night.’
- ‘I picked up my kitbag and marched aboard the troopship Empire Fowey, bound for Singapore and Malaya, although we did not know this at the time as it was top secret.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.