Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A relative known well enough to be given a kiss in greeting.figurative ‘almonds and apricots are kissing cousins’
- ‘Philip realizes that ‘It can be said - has been said - that I write the kind of poetry that can be described as language poetry - kissing cousins with it at least’.’
- ‘Innovation and entrepreneurship may not be perfect synonyms, but semantically the two are at least kissing cousins.’
- ‘For rank-and-file Democrats, reformers and Republicans were kissing cousins.’
- ‘Uncle Sam's nephews were hardly kissing cousins, and the contrast with the happy family who were the European side was more than marked.’
- ‘Trial lawyers and MTV are bastions of liberalism and, therefore, kissing cousins.’
- ‘Outsourcing and shared services have always been related, but the Web promises to make them kissing cousins.’
- ‘Yet another kissing cousin of the socialist Progressive Challenge is the Congressional Progressive Caucus.’
- ‘To me it sounds like we're all stupid, helpless idiots, no different from our kissing cousins, the chimpanzees, trying to learn the Pythagorean theorem.’
- ‘That is not to say that the parts are interchangeable, for they are not, but they are surely kissing cousins.’
- ‘Pharmacologically, caffeine is a kissing cousin of theophylline, and in high doses it can produce sympathomimetic effects.’
- ‘All of it going to kissing cousins of those who had to approve the deal.’
- ‘I need all the support I can get to show Magick and Quantum Physics are kissing cousins…’
- ‘For one thing, none of the 10 shorthaired breeds in existence in the late 1960s looked anything like the Persian's kissing cousin.’
- ‘As any woman who's been pregnant knows, the uterus and the bladder are kissing cousins inside your abdomen.’
- ‘Now my hair is short, a kissing cousin to a bob (less formal angles), and it's choppy and almost punk rock looking.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.