One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the Jewish calendar) the third month of the civil and ninth of the religious year, usually coinciding with parts of November and December.
- ‘On the 25th day of the ninth month (Kislew) they rose early in the morning and performed the first morning sacrifice that had been offered in three years.’
- ‘The spirituality of the month of Kislev is the spirituality of inner illumination.’
- ‘The festival begins on the 25th day of Kislev and is celebrated for eight days.’
- ‘Torah has taught that the central concept of the month of Kislev is the illumination of darkness.’
- ‘The Maccabees then purify the Temple and rededicate it on the 25th of Kislev, which is the date on the Hebrew calendar when we begin to celebrate the eight days of Chanukah.’
From Hebrew kislēw.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.