Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A devotional song, typically about the life of Krishna, in which a group repeats lines sung by a leader.
- ‘Devotional music includes forms that are typical to the subcontinent, such as the Sufi Muslim Qawaali music and kirtan.’
- ‘Of course, one has to admit that she did get better by the time she sang the main piece in Raga Kalyani and the short kirtans and bhajans that followed.’
- ‘The four-day opening ceremony was packed with havans, aratis, kirtans, bhajans, as well as spiritual and philosophical discourses.’
- ‘For several days these individuals conducted the kirtan.’
- ‘Bhajans, kirtans and a special lecture on Lord Krishna was organised.’
From Sanskrit kīrtana.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.