Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A devotional song, typically about the life of Krishna, in which a group repeats lines sung by a leader.
- ‘Bhajans, kirtans and a special lecture on Lord Krishna was organised.’
- ‘Of course, one has to admit that she did get better by the time she sang the main piece in Raga Kalyani and the short kirtans and bhajans that followed.’
- ‘For several days these individuals conducted the kirtan.’
- ‘Devotional music includes forms that are typical to the subcontinent, such as the Sufi Muslim Qawaali music and kirtan.’
- ‘The four-day opening ceremony was packed with havans, aratis, kirtans, bhajans, as well as spiritual and philosophical discourses.’
From Sanskrit kīrtana.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.