One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Brandy distilled from the fermented juice of cherries.
- ‘In a small bowl, mix together the arrowroot and the kirsch and pour into a noncorrosive saucepan.’
- ‘They do pretty good kirsch and I wouldn't mind sharing a samovar with you.’
- ‘The heat of the road; the rich dark plums and kirsch leaving a dark and alluring track across the lips.’
- ‘Chocolate mousse, pineapple with kirsch and lime and chocolate cheesecake were also on offer.’
- ‘My instinct is to leave it be, but I know you might be tempted to sprinkle it with a little kirsch or even white rum.’
German, abbreviation of Kirschenwasser, from Kirsche ‘cherry’ + Wasser ‘water’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.