Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A main or large bolt in a central position.
- ‘This device is secured in a normal manner by a central kingpin which is received within a slot portion of the device.’
- 1.1A vertical bolt used as a pivot.
- ‘The offset barrel-shape wound spring changes the load path through the suspension, allowing the spring's axis to come in line with the kingpin instead of the strut, reducing lateral load on the upper strut bearing.’
- ‘If your trucks feel too tight or too loose grab your wrench and adjust them by turning the nut on the kingpin (if you have Grind Kings, you'll need to use an Allen key to tighten them).’
2A person or thing that is essential to the success of an organization or operation.‘the kingpins of the television industry’
star, leading light, luminary, superstar, mogul, giant, master, kingpin, celebrity, lionView synonyms
- ‘The brains behind the operation, the drug kingpins, usually receive a get-out-of-jail-free card in exchange for giving information and writing a check.’
- ‘And so the gangsters from Culiacan became world famous kingpins of complex criminal enterprises - many resembling multi-national corporations in structure.’
- ‘If a kidnap kingpin is operating high in the ranks of the police, this is a measure of the desperate urgency of what the public is up against.’
- ‘Gambling kingpins and vice lords bought votes, counted votes of long since dead voters and terrorized honest citizens so that every political leader and law enforcement officer in the county owed their jobs to the crooks.’
- ‘The new kid on the block - or off the block, as the case may be - is having a go at the main man, the kingpin.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.