One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Associated with or typical of a king; regal.‘his kingly duties’
royal, regal, of a king, monarchical, sovereign, imperial, princely, crowned, supreme, absoluteregal, majestic, stately, august, noble, lordly, proud, dignified, distinguished, courtlyView synonyms
- ‘The king looked at her in a very kingly and grand fashion.’
- ‘What kingly magnificence could mean is brought to life by the great barrow-burial at Sutton Hoo on the East Anglian coast.’
- ‘To get to the top of this ladder, New York's low-level jesters enter the freestyle circuit with playful puns about guns delivered in predictable monotones, with hopes of one day garnering kingly success.’
- ‘The kingly or lordly attitude is one way: I make these wonderful objects and don't you come and mess about with them or misunderstand them.’
- ‘Senior sources say the prince will adopt a more kingly style, representing the Queen on more foreign assignments.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.