One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of large sporting fish, many of which are edible.
a western Atlantic fish of the mackerel family (Scomberomorus cavalla, family Scombridae).
('northern kingfish') a fish of the drum family (Menticirrhus saxatilis, family Sciaenidae), of the east coast of North America.
a fish of the jack family (Carangidae), including the yellowtail kingfish (Seriola grandis) of the South Pacific.
- ‘At Jake's we had crab and akee on toast, followed by kingfish in coconut cream, and wondered whether to make an appointment with the bicycling masseur Joshua Stein.’
- ‘At night, as you dine by oil lamp on kingfish, pilau rice and tropical fruits, the fishing boats set forth once more like Viking ships, their prows cutting through the waves and paddles fighting with the swell.’
- ‘The menu board also features Caribbean classics like oxtail stew, red snapper, kingfish and curried goat.’
- ‘Even when promptly gutted, cleaned, cut into steaks or fillets and then shoved into ice, kingfish is best eaten the day it is caught.’
- ‘Trio of hapuka, salmon and kingfish each individually prepared and presented on a large platter.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.