One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tyrannical ruler or leader noted for extremes of oppression.See also King Log
- ‘He sent them King Stork, and King Stork caught the Frogs, one by one, and ate them, till there was not one left.’
- ‘She had far better resign herself to the rule of King Log - Turkey, than call in King Stork - Russia.’
- ‘The fable of King Log and King Stork was sometimes quoted.’
- ‘Rightly or wrongly, the instinct of the common folk rebelled against the greed-in-authority of King Stork, and reversing the fable, inclined instead to King Log.’
- ‘As soon as the Frogs came to the surface to greet the new king, King Stork caught them in his long bill and gobbled them up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.