One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An upright post in the centre of a roof truss, extending from the tie beam to the apex of the truss.
pole, stake, upright, shaft, prop, support, picket, strut, pillar, pale, paling, column, piling, standard, stanchion, pylon, stave, rod, newel, baluster, jamb, bollard, mastView synonyms
- ‘A single king post or several queen posts may be used according to the length of span and the support required.’
- ‘First, as Su notes, a king post is used in the shrine's roof truss.’
- ‘Bracket sets with two arms support the four-rafter beams; there are straight braces known as timu; and a king post is present in the roof truss.’
- ‘Again, two crossbeams with camel's hump-shaped braces support the roof truss, and there is no king post.’
- ‘In the process, the various components acquired names according to their place in this system - king post, hammer beam, purlin, sill, and so forth - names that are still used today.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.