One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for cramp balls
- ‘Peter James takes us on a tour through the enthralling world of scarlet elf cups, death caps and King Alfred's cakes.’
- ‘For fire-making, look out for thistledown and King Alfred's cakes (aka crampball fungus, which grows only on ash trees), both of which make fantastic tinder.’
- ‘So it seems that there is a little story attached to the fungus Crimplene identifies as Daldinia concentrica or King Alfred's cakes.’
- ‘Its common name of King Alfred's cakes comes from an incident where the King burned some cakes and the fungus resembled these burned cakes.’
- ‘The Latin name for King Alfred's cakes is Daldinia concentrica.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.