One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each player's rook on the kingside of the board at the start of a game.
- ‘The king's rook did not move, so by elimination it was the queen's rook that did move.’
- ‘In Karpovian style Burn has cleared with his last two moves the way for the transfer of the king's rook to the queen's side, where Black's position soon becomes critical.’
- ‘If castling is still possible then a penalty is given if one of the rooks has moved; 12 points for the king's rook, 8 points for the queen's rook.’
- ‘The kings are whisked away to safe havens and the king's rooks are brought into play.’
- ‘In a different game the very same piece of marble might play another role, such as that of white queen's bishop or, conceivably, black king's rook.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.