One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Scrofula, formerly held to be curable by the royal touch.
- ‘When 3 years old he was brought to London to be touched for the king's evil by Queen Anne; the illness seriously affected his sight, but he was from an early age an avid reader.’
- ‘The disappearance of touching for the king's evil was probably just as much a result of an increasing understanding of science and medicine as it was of the decreasing God-like reverence for monarchs.’
- ‘The charm made in Blackmore Vale Dairy was good against the king's evil and tubercular wounds.’
- ‘He sees something magic in it, scientific magic, like being touched by the king for the king's evil.’
- ‘He believed that he possessed semi-divine powers and attributes (no king touched so much for the king's evil, that class of unpleasant glandular and scrofulous disorders that kings were reputed to be able to cure).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.