One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic compound similar to kinin, used to stimulate cell division in plants.
- ‘When kinetin was applied to plants during early endosperm development, both endosperm cell number and endosperm/grain weight increased.’
- ‘However, it is possible that endogenous CKs play a role in chloroplast acclimation since it was found that kinetin stimulates the development of sun-type chloroplasts.’
- ‘Ingredients such as soothing aloe and cucumber de-puff while anti-aging ingredients (including kinetin, an anti-aging substance found in green, leafy plants, and the vitamin A derivative retinol) address fine lines.’
- ‘A more recent wrinkle-fighting discovery, kinetin, is also widely recommended by dermatologists as an alternative to harsh chemicals.’
- ‘Look for creams with retinol (found in over-the-counter vitamin-A products) and kinetin (an anti-aging compound found in the leaves of green plants).’
1950s: from Greek kinetos ‘movable’ (from kinein ‘to move’) + -in.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.