Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Energy which a body possesses by virtue of being in motion.‘energy above that needed to ionize the molecule is carried away as kinetic energy of the electron ejected’Compare with potential energy[count noun] ‘particles with low kinetic energies’
- ‘The energy flow resulting from transforming kinetic energy into potential energy is heat.’
- ‘A moving particle will carry with it the energy of its motion, which the physicists call kinetic energy.’
- ‘One way energy is conserved is through the transformation of an object's potential energy into kinetic energy.’
- ‘The molecules convert their kinetic energy into potential energy when they rise into the air just like the ball did.’
- ‘By lowering the centre of gravity, some potential energy is removed from the system and converted to kinetic energy - the energy of motion.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.