One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality of being kind, warm-hearted, or gentle; kindness.
kindness, benevolence, warmth, benignity, gentleness, mildness, tenderness, care, humanity, humaneness, sensitivity, sympathy, compassion, understandingView synonyms
- ‘Her common sense and kindliness, combined with an inexorable flow of shrewd jokes, make it easy to see why she has become more than just another author.’
- ‘One reason they gave for moving away from Britain was the erosion of kindliness and good manners in the old country.’
- ‘And if there is no kindliness nor understanding between them, what will my boy's fate be?’
- ‘Her friendliness, humble kindliness and her generous disposition won her the hearts of many people who came to know and love her personality.’
- ‘Despite its essential inequities and hidebound nostalgia, Old England was a gentle place of tolerance, common sense, and universal kindliness.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.