Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The quality of being kind, warm-hearted, or gentle; kindness.
kindness, benevolence, warmth, benignity, gentleness, mildness, tenderness, care, humanity, humaneness, sensitivity, sympathy, compassion, understandinggenerosity, charity, kind-heartedness, warm-heartedness, soft-heartedness, tender-heartedness, thoughtfulness, concern, solicitousnessView synonyms
- ‘Despite its essential inequities and hidebound nostalgia, Old England was a gentle place of tolerance, common sense, and universal kindliness.’
- ‘And if there is no kindliness nor understanding between them, what will my boy's fate be?’
- ‘One reason they gave for moving away from Britain was the erosion of kindliness and good manners in the old country.’
- ‘Her common sense and kindliness, combined with an inexorable flow of shrewd jokes, make it easy to see why she has become more than just another author.’
- ‘Her friendliness, humble kindliness and her generous disposition won her the hearts of many people who came to know and love her personality.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.