Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1,000 joules, especially as a measure of the energy value of foods.
- ‘The kilojoule value of some of these drinks varies slightly between brands and the figures are averages.’
- ‘The units typically used for heats of sublimation are kilojoule per mole or kilocalories per mole.’
- ‘Obesity is caused by consuming too many kilojoules, which are the units for measuring energy.’
- ‘It is recommended that amount of fat in the diet be kept to 25% to 30% of total kilojoules consumed.’
- ‘So how do we determine which foods should be in the pack to provide the 15,000 kilojoules of energy, with most of this energy coming from carbohydrate?’
- ‘When gasoline is burned in an automobile engine, for example, it releases 48 kilojoules of heat per gram.’
- ‘Skipping meals creates another disadvantage - it slows down our metabolism, the rate at which we burn kilojoules (food energy).’
- ‘Every time you change the channel on the television, it consumes an extra .10239 kilojoules per ampere of electricity.’
- ‘Then there are the ‘meal deals’ where ‘value for money’ outweighs consideration for the higher amounts of kilojoules about to be consumed.’
- ‘The only way to avoid gaining weight from excessive alcohol consumption is to reduce your intake of kilojoules from other foods and drinks.’
- ‘For notational convenience, let us imagine that we measure food value in kilojoules, space in meters, and time in seconds.’
- ‘Fats are the most kilojoule dense of the macronutrients, they contribute the largest amount of kilojoules per gram.’
- ‘I didn't worry about kilojoules too much, I didn't freak out about all sugar in the orange and blackcurrant juice (vitamin C enhances iron absorption), and I relaxed.’
- ‘You are consuming too many kilojoules - your diet brings more food energy than your body needs for all its daily activities.’
- ‘The standard diet provides approximately 2,100 kilocalories / 8,792 kilojoules per day excluding snacks, with a fat content of 35% total kilocalories.’
- ‘The units typically used for heats of solution are kilojoules per mole or kilocalories per mole.’
- ‘The first is that it is not your everyday, sensible food that must fit into a busy schedule and meet some often rigorous requirements of speed, kilojoules and practicality.’
- ‘Weight loss is achieved by eating less kilojoules than the energy that is expended.’
- ‘Patients received a mean of 2799 fewer kilojoules than their daily goals.’
- ‘Exercise is important for maintaining good health and well-being because it burns up kilojoules and raises your body's metabolic rate for 24 to 48 hours afterwards.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.