One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1,000 joules, especially as a measure of the energy value of foods.
- ‘The only way to avoid gaining weight from excessive alcohol consumption is to reduce your intake of kilojoules from other foods and drinks.’
- ‘The first is that it is not your everyday, sensible food that must fit into a busy schedule and meet some often rigorous requirements of speed, kilojoules and practicality.’
- ‘The units typically used for heats of solution are kilojoules per mole or kilocalories per mole.’
- ‘The standard diet provides approximately 2,100 kilocalories / 8,792 kilojoules per day excluding snacks, with a fat content of 35% total kilocalories.’
- ‘So how do we determine which foods should be in the pack to provide the 15,000 kilojoules of energy, with most of this energy coming from carbohydrate?’
- ‘The kilojoule value of some of these drinks varies slightly between brands and the figures are averages.’
- ‘Fats are the most kilojoule dense of the macronutrients, they contribute the largest amount of kilojoules per gram.’
- ‘Obesity is caused by consuming too many kilojoules, which are the units for measuring energy.’
- ‘It is recommended that amount of fat in the diet be kept to 25% to 30% of total kilojoules consumed.’
- ‘Patients received a mean of 2799 fewer kilojoules than their daily goals.’
- ‘Skipping meals creates another disadvantage - it slows down our metabolism, the rate at which we burn kilojoules (food energy).’
- ‘For notational convenience, let us imagine that we measure food value in kilojoules, space in meters, and time in seconds.’
- ‘Every time you change the channel on the television, it consumes an extra .10239 kilojoules per ampere of electricity.’
- ‘Then there are the ‘meal deals’ where ‘value for money’ outweighs consideration for the higher amounts of kilojoules about to be consumed.’
- ‘Exercise is important for maintaining good health and well-being because it burns up kilojoules and raises your body's metabolic rate for 24 to 48 hours afterwards.’
- ‘I didn't worry about kilojoules too much, I didn't freak out about all sugar in the orange and blackcurrant juice (vitamin C enhances iron absorption), and I relaxed.’
- ‘You are consuming too many kilojoules - your diet brings more food energy than your body needs for all its daily activities.’
- ‘When gasoline is burned in an automobile engine, for example, it releases 48 kilojoules of heat per gram.’
- ‘The units typically used for heats of sublimation are kilojoule per mole or kilocalories per mole.’
- ‘Weight loss is achieved by eating less kilojoules than the energy that is expended.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.