One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A measure of frequency equivalent to 1,000 cycles per second.
- ‘Another curious aspect to leopard seal vocalizations is their use of high-pitched clicks up to 165 kilohertz, a frequency far beyond the range of normal human hearing.’
- ‘By comparison, a typical AM radio station operates in the kilohertz range, or thousands of cycles per second.’
- ‘Most bats emit sonar at ultrasonic frequencies around 20-60 kilohertz (humans hear up to 20 kHz), and this is the range at which hearing moths are most sensitive!’
- ‘Modern tubes approach that ideal by drawing power at such high frequencies - tens of kilohertz - that the x-ray output is steady apart from a ripple of a few percent.’
- ‘The sonar that will be used has a frequency of 170 kilohertz and is considered safe for the animals.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.