One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A measure of frequency equivalent to 1,000 cycles per second.
- ‘Another curious aspect to leopard seal vocalizations is their use of high-pitched clicks up to 165 kilohertz, a frequency far beyond the range of normal human hearing.’
- ‘Modern tubes approach that ideal by drawing power at such high frequencies - tens of kilohertz - that the x-ray output is steady apart from a ripple of a few percent.’
- ‘By comparison, a typical AM radio station operates in the kilohertz range, or thousands of cycles per second.’
- ‘The sonar that will be used has a frequency of 170 kilohertz and is considered safe for the animals.’
- ‘Most bats emit sonar at ultrasonic frequencies around 20-60 kilohertz (humans hear up to 20 kHz), and this is the range at which hearing moths are most sensitive!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.