One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A unit of energy of one thousand calories (equal to one large calorie).
- ‘In nearly half of these African countries, the undernourished are getting 300 kilocalories less than what they need to be healthy.’
- ‘For most people, a daily diet containing 2000 calories of energy (actually 2000 kilocalories, but never mind) is about right.’
- ‘In the United States, energy is expressed in kilocalories or megacalories (Mcal).’
- ‘The units typically used for heats of sublimation are kilojoule per mole or kilocalories per mole.’
- ‘In scientific terms, 1 calorie is a kilocalorie, which is the amount of energy required to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.