One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A unit of energy of one thousand calories (equal to one large calorie).
- ‘For most people, a daily diet containing 2000 calories of energy (actually 2000 kilocalories, but never mind) is about right.’
- ‘The units typically used for heats of sublimation are kilojoule per mole or kilocalories per mole.’
- ‘In the United States, energy is expressed in kilocalories or megacalories (Mcal).’
- ‘In scientific terms, 1 calorie is a kilocalorie, which is the amount of energy required to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius.’
- ‘In nearly half of these African countries, the undernourished are getting 300 kilocalories less than what they need to be healthy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.