A unit of computer memory or data equal to 1,024 bits.
- ‘Basic GSM phones send and receive data at a paltry 9.6 kilobits per second (kbps).’
- ‘It offers the lowest entry-level broadband speed on the market, at 300 kilobits per second (kbps).’
- ‘A megabit is 1024 kilobits, and a kilobit is 1024 bits.’
- ‘Depending on its complexity, the data might go as low as 500 kilobits and as high as 3 megabits at any point in time.’
- ‘He promised ‘typical’ download speeds of 200 to 300 kilobits per second, with uploading at 64K for the time being.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.