Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large toothed whale with distinctive black-and-white markings and a prominent dorsal fin. It lives in groups that hunt fish, seals, and penguins cooperatively.Also called orca
- ‘Fifty or more feet long and weighing an estimated forty tons, Shonisaurus was one of the largest creatures of its time - about the size of a modern sperm whale and twice the size of a killer whale.’
- ‘Although Orkney's seals seem to have escaped the worst of the deadly virus, PDV, it now looks like the seals are facing an altogether different threat - a killer whale.’
- ‘The infamous killer whale has a reputation for attacking mammals such as sea-lions, smaller dolphins and, in packs, even other whales.’
- ‘The Arctic teems with life, from its largest predators, the killer whale and the polar bear, to small birds like the tiny Arctic tern.’
- ‘The most popular attractions, particularly with the kids, are the dolphins, the killer whale and the five beluga whales in a tank.’
- ‘For sheer size and predatory power, the killer whale is probably the closest thing to a living Tyrannosaurus rex on Earth today.’
- ‘Aside from humans, who hunt them for their skin, their chief predator appears to be the killer whale.’
- ‘Steller sea lions were once the primary prey of the killer whale.’
- ‘Historically, this close relationship may have stemmed from the killer whale's habit of driving small whales ashore.’
- ‘When the gulls landed on the water, the killer whale would then attempt to capture them in her mouth, without killing them.’
- ‘According to one report posted on the Internet, a killer whale lunged completely out of the water, stranding itself on an ice floe as it grabbed a seal.’
- ‘Aside from humans, their principal enemies are the polar bear and killer whale.’
- ‘A lone killer whale near a Canadian fishing village was a skilled mimic that barked just like a sea lion, a new study reveals.’
- ‘No dependency of group size on length was obvious in the striped dolphin and the killer whale.’
- ‘The book also tells of an intrepid United States Navy photographer in a polar region who stepped onto an ice floe to attract a killer whale, detected by a horde of penguins and seals leaping out of the water and onto the ice to avoid being eaten.’
- ‘The first killer whale was born in captivity in California.’
- ‘But I've listened to some of these anti-sub sonars and they have a similar effect to the sound of a killer whale.’
- ‘And when Ki, the killer whale, started attacking him, he somehow remained calm, and calmed the whale.’
- ‘While few have actually observed a killer whale attack a sea otter, many believe they would based on the increasing loss of hooked fish to the hungry whales.’
- ‘Victoria's waters, home of the Orca killer whale, remain at about 10-degrees Celsius throughout the year.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.